1/09/2008

SysAd Blog

I've recently contributed a couple of posts to My SysAd Blog, which has prompted a bit of curiosity about me.

Here is my bio brief:

I'm the Network Security Administrator for a university in Texas.
My technology career began in the mid 1980's
My first operating system was a AT&T Unix on a 3b2.
I've worked with a variety of Unix/Linux systems (SCO,Solaris,BSDi,Ultrix,HPux and various Linux).
I had my 5 minutes of fame in 2000 when I wrote a paper for my SANS GIAC certification detailing the SANS top 10 report (it was originally only ten). My paper broke down the top ten, explaining how to know if your running the service, how to know if you need the service and how to disable it. My paper was translated to several languages and posted on web sites around the world. Someone even posted it on the alt.hackers newsgroup.
Today, SANS includes much of this information in their annual Top 20 list. I suspect they were inspired by my format, but I was never told that.

I'm looking forward to retirement in 7 years. I recently started making jewelry. I've got links in this blog to my jewelry site. I don't sell online, but I might one day.







No comments: